Sunday 11 October 2015

Change of Direction

After spending countless hours of my life over the last few months scrolling through Pinterest posts on up-cycling and shabby chic painting projects of old furniture I felt rather confident at giving it a go.
Our newly decorating Period style living room needed something of a cabinet/display unit for one of the alcoves. A new modern wood unit would not suit, plus I didn't want a unit so tall that I couldn't enjoy the beautiful Laura Ashley bird wall paper. On the Gumtree hunt I found a 1930's style china cabinet with glass shelves. Perfect length, height and depth for the alcove.
It was the usual dark, stained, heavily varnished wood you'd expect of the era, with a simple scalloped edge to the glass doors.
The internet say use Annie Sloane paint, its amazing and just the job. I read up on it, watched a number of Youtube videos of people using the paint and how to apply it etc. I chose old white chalk paint.
It does not do what it says on the tin. It took three coats and it still wasn't a top paint finish. Then I waxed over the top as suggested by Annie Sloane - it takes some of the paint off. So the finish of the unit is definitely more shabby than chic. I took off the back board of the unit and cut out the silky type fabric usually lining these style cabinets. I used off cuts of wall paper to cover it to match the wall it would be stood against.
Overall I like the unit and the colour. I am pleased with the result but to be honest next time I would sand, prime, paint and varnish. 





No comments:

Post a Comment