Saturday 15 June 2013

Nearly a year has passed!

I cannot believe its nearly a year ago since my last post! I have been busy sewing too but working full time and decorating and refurbishing the kitchen has pushed my sewing to the side. But with the Angus Show entries to complete I picked up the pace with my pals at sewing club and we got all our entries done and dusted ready for 8th June.
 
First up, my patchwork article. I wanted to combine applique with hand patched pieces to show off my hand stitching too.


My mum had a flower cushion panel which I cut up and used for the banner across the bottom and the flower heads. I used chain and blanket stitching for the flowers and pot as well as buttons. I even sewed in a zip! the back is a basic log cabin variation.

 Needless to say I did not win anything for my patchwork article. I was quite annoyed for my mum and pal Val, who had worked so hard on their items and didn't win either. The winning article was worthy but not second and third. :)



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next up - knee blanket. I used pink patches I had lying around and made up a basic patch front with a border, and a plain pink back.  It has no binding and I double hemmed it instead and tied it together with buttons. I wasn't actually impressed with my result but I submitted it and low and behold I got second place! Third item as a placemat in any craft so I used the reverse applique method which is new to me too. It was a total faff and I won't be trying it again, also the first attempt was ruined as I washed it once it was complete and the dark blue colours ran. So Friday evening before the show I was up til midnight finishing my second attempt with the grateful help of my mum who sewed the writing on. I never got an award for it after all that! 



 




last up, my favourite item, I made a gardening apron using some fabulous appropriate fabric with wellies and watering cans on. The category was the best use of 1 m of fabric. Now I had some heated discussions regarding this category because some people used the full width of a fabric and 1 metre in length when in fact the full width of a fabric is 147cm which is too much. Hence I stuck accurately to the brief and only managed to get this one item when I got to the show, the other entries had a plethora of items from the same supposed 1 metre. I was not impressed by the judges results as the winner had about 6 items from the same 1 metre.  
Mine was true to the rules. I got a third for it which I was happy with I suppose!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment